Area & Travel
Despite our location on an island, getting here is a breeze! Grace Cottage is located on at Harbor de Grace on Long Island, ME.
Getting to Long Island: You will need to take the Casco Bay Lines ferry in Portland to get to Long Island. The ferry ride is an enjoyable 30 minutes to one hour depending on the time and day. Ferries depart regularly on weekdays and weekends from the dock located at 56 Commercial Street, Portland, Maine 04101. Long Island will be the fourth stop off the ferry. Ferry schedules can be found by clicking on this link and change depending on the season. Ferry passenger fares can be found by clicking on this link. Tickets can be purchased at the dock and dogs are allowed on the boats. Note that there are discounts for seniors, so please inquire at the ticket desk. For further information, please contact Casco Bay Lines.
You can also request 24-hour water taxi service from Fogg’s Boatworks (1-207-415-8493, 1-207-232-9609, email@example.com) located at 68 Commercial St, Portland, Maine, 04101 (about a block away from Casco Bay Lines) for approximately $65 one way. You have arrived!
Important: Please let us know as soon as practicable what ferry you will be on so our greeter can come meet you at the ferry dock. She will bring you to Grace Cottage, hand you the keys and give you a quick tour of the cottage.
Getting to Maine by Car
From points south of Maine, take Interstate 95 North. There is only one major road into Maine and everyone crosses into Maine at Portsmouth, New Hampshire. Portland, Maine is about 9 hours from the Washington D.C area, 6 hours from New York and 2 hours from Boston.
If you would like to park your car in Portland during your stay on Long Island, contact Christine Morabito at Simba Parking, firstname.lastname@example.org, 216 Fore Street, Portland, ME 04101. This parking lot is 2 short blocks from the ferry terminal. Mention you are staying at Grace Cottage on Long Island.
Getting to Maine by Bus and Train
If you are taking a bus into Maine, there is only one choice: Concord Coach Lines (1-800-639-3317). The bus leaves from South Station or Logan Airport and brings you to the Concord bus station in Portland in 2 hours. Amtrak operates the Downeaster train (1-800-872-7245) between Boston and Portland and it is a 2 1/2 hour train ride that leaves from Boston’s North Station. Uber is available in Portland, as well as, regular taxis, such as Asap Taxi & Courier Service (1-207-791-2727).
Getting to Maine by Air
If you are flying on a commercial airline, we recommend flying into Portland International Jetport (PWM). It is served by Delta, United, Continental, American, US Airways/Express, Northwest and JetBlue. Taxi and Uber service is available at the airport.
Before You Go:
- Transportation on Long Island: A car is not necessary on the Island, the majority of visitors get around on bikes or golf carts. Grace Cottage is equipped with four adult bikes. For additional transportation we recommend renting a golf cart. It is best to reserve golf carts in advance during high season.
- Peachie’s Golf Cart Rentals, 151 Beach Ave. Long Island, Maine, 04050, (207) 766-5568.
- Long Island Golf Cart Rentals, 139 Fern Avenue, Long Island, Maine 04050, (207) 766-2383, email@example.com.
- Food: We recommend doing all your shopping at the Whole Foods Market (2 Somerset St., Portland, ME 04101) and bringing everything you need to the island. If you fly into Portland, just take an Uber to the market and then the ferry. If you brought your car, then the market has plenty of parking for you. If you are not able to do your own shopping, we are happy to coordinate a delivery to Grace Cottage. Just get in touch with us at least two weeks prior to your stay and we will help coordinate it all for a modest delivery fee.
- Wine: If you would like to ship wine to the house, feel free to do so! Just let us know and we will keep an eye out for it.
- Car: If you do bring a car to the island, contact Casco Bay Lines to make a special car reservation. These must be done in advance.
- Coffee: Please bring your favorite ground coffee.
- Fresh Lobster: Fresh lobster is caught daily during the summer by local lobstermen. We can coordinate a delivery to your door for a modest fee.
- Luggage on the ferry: If you are coming with more than just a carry-on, Casco Bay Ferry provides a delivery service for “freight” from Portland to Long Island. You check into the freight area of the ferry dock (where the cars pull up prior to boarding the ferry) and put your belongings in a cart that then gets labeled “LO” stickers that Casco Bay provides. The ferry crew will push it on the boat and unload it on the island for you to pick up on the pier. Most times you can ride the same ferry as your belongings (if you arrive 45 minutes prior to the ferry) but during high season your belongings might be on a different ferry. Our greeter can help you coordinate pick up.